Since it is my birthday this
week, Al kindly offered to write the article for me this time.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. Pull up your most comfy
chair with your tall glass of refreshing water, and don't forget
that beautiful SMILE ☺of yours. I love seeing smiling faces
and so does Al!
Getting Successful Support
by Al Coon
object is to drive your camel 200 miles across the Gobi desert." So
began a game called Camel. It was a simple computer program, and
I had typed the code, from a book I had purchased, into my Commodore
64 computer years ago when I was learning the BASIC programming
language. The game gave you several possible choices of action,
which included two rates of travel, taking a rest, taking a drink
from your solitary canteen, or—when all seemed lost—asking
As I recall, it was really tough to make it all the way
across the desert alive, and the odds of getting help when you
needed it badly were pretty slim, but fortunately, in real life
we don’t have to rely on the heartless output from a random
number generator in order to find the help we need. However, just
like in the game, help is very welcome when it arrives in a time
From the Gobi Desert to the Deep Blue Sea
unable to swim, but suddenly dropped into a large body of water.
What will save you? One thing you can be sure of is that another
person who can’t swim will not be a benefit. People who are
drowning are seldom good support at a time like that. They will
be grasping for anything to hold on to try and keep their heads
above water. If you are close enough to be grabbed and dragged
down, you will be.
If another non-swimmer will be no help, what
about someone who can swim a little? What will he be able to do
for you? Generally, if a drowning person is approached by a fair
to poor swimmer, the swimmer will be grasped, and tied up in such
a way that he will not be able to swim either. Unless he can free
himself from the non-swimmer, they both will drown. In other words,
he will be little more help than the non-swimmer in providing support
in the water.
For truly useful support in the water, when you cannot
swim on your own, a lifeguard is what you need. A lifeguard is
a strong swimmer, and is very confident in his ability to keep
himself afloat. A lifeguard also has training in how to deal with
a desperate drowning man. Between his ability to swim and his training
to avoid being dragged down by the flailing non-swimmer, he will
be able to calm the flailing, and pull the victim to safety.
The Swimming Aspects of Weight Loss
When you begin a weight loss/control
journey you already know you do not have the ability to swim in
these waters on your own. If we could do this on our own without
help, we wouldn’t be here. We would be thin and off doing
something else. By definition this is something we need help with.
Denial is not a river in Africa, but its waters can drown us in
a hurry. We must face the fact that we need help learning "to
Your doctor may have told you that you must lose weight.
Or perhaps you were suddenly hit with reality when you looked in
the mirror, stepped on the scale, couldn't fit into some large
article of clothing, or you had some other shock that dropped you
into the water. Suddenly, you were expecting yourself to swim like
a fish. But this expectation is not realistic! Swimming is a skill
that comes naturally to a fish, but to the rest of us, we have
to learn to swim.
And as if that were not enough, as we struggle
along, we are also hit with waves that wash over us:
- Urges to binge
- Temptations hitting our eyes and our noses
You can feel like you are going to sink and will never be
able to swim!
HELP! Please Won’t Somebody Help Me?
stop and back up a bit for a moment. When is the best time to handle
a crisis? Before the need arises is always the best time to get
ready for an emergency. Fire drills make the real thing less devastating.
Having fire extinguishers available beforehand can stop a fire
from ever getting out of control. And a life jacket can prevent
a drowning, if you put it on before you fall into the water.
is the best cure for a crisis, and the best time to get help is
before the need arises. In the area of weight loss, we have our
weight loss program, and the habits that we develop to help us
in following it—and that will serve as a life vest. They
can help to keep us afloat, even when no other person is there
with us to help. If we have done our preparation properly, we know
what we should be eating, and we have developed habits that help
us naturally tend towards eating those things and only those things.
We also have journals to track what we are doing, to help compensate
for our imperfect memories, and to follow our progress. These things
form supports to buoy us up when we would otherwise be sinking
with flailing arms.
Our lifeguards, the ones who play hero for
us, saving us from ourselves in times of crisis are our Weight
Watcher leaders—or others in our lives—who have been
successful for a long time and are continuing to be successful.
Seeking them out sooner rather than later will be a major asset
in your efforts to reach and hold to your goal weight.
one of the most important things to do for water safety is to learn
how to swim! In the area of weight loss, this correlates with attending
Weight Watchers meetings, reading books on how to eat right and
of course seeking out a professional nutritionist and then following
his advice. (Otherwise, the good counsel you receive will be no
more valuable than a weight set or a treadmill that is sitting
unused in the corner gathering dust.) Your doctor can be another
great source of help, if he is experienced in this area. If not,
seek out another one. All doctors are not equal in all areas, in
either ability or experience. (There is no shame in changing doctors
if the one you have now is not giving you what you need.)
for the water and the waves, you multiply your chances of success
by a large factor.
Don’t Drown Your Friends!
When you look
for your primary source of support do not grab onto another struggling
swimmer and pull him down with you. Remember that a large part
of how we learn is through feedback from others.
If the feedback is wrong, it will reinforce bad choices!
- Did I do that right?
- Does that look okay to you?
- Is that an effective way to do this?
support is faulty, it is like using a faulty foundation for a large
building, or like grabbing onto a flailing swimmer when you are
drowning yourself. It is easy to get sucked into a destructive
whirlpool of bad advice and misguided feedback.
- It’s okay to do that…I do it all the time!
all have that problem…don’t worry about it!
can’t fix that…I never have been able to.
We Need Help!
and I can’t do this on our own. In a very real way, we are
handicapped. We need help and support to be successful. It is nothing
to be ashamed of and certainly not something to be too proud to
admit, because it is only by realizing that we need help that we
will seek it out. And it is only by realizing that it is a serious
problem that we will take the time, and expend the effort required,
to seek out the right kind of help, rather than just grabbing for
another non-swimming companion, and drowning together. Remember
that someone who is not able to swim will not know how it should
be done correctly. He will be confused, and unable to give useful
feedback. He will reinforce your bad choices and may even belittle
good choices. The net result of this good intentioned help is that
your situation is made worse rather than better by it.
must have certain qualities to be effective. He must be:
Good advice is not
always pleasant advice. Sometimes we have to hear bad news, when
it will save us from pain and failure later. Our lifeguards will
have to be willing to give us that advice, or they are not really
ready for that job.
who is successful, and has been for some time.
- Someone who will
give honest useful feedback.
- Someone who will not reinforce our
wrongheaded excuses for making bad choices.
You Can Learn To Swim These Waters!
learn to do this all the time, and while you may not believe it,
they are no better than you are. You can do it too! You CAN reach
your goal weight and remain there. You can learn the techniques
that you need and build your own system of routine and structure
that will support your journey day by day. This is doable, and
it is doable by you!
But remember that you must get your primary
support from lifeguards who will be able to help you succeed, by
only reinforcing good choices, while deprecating the bad ones.
You can do it!
Wishing you the very best,
Have an awesome couple of weeks everyone, and remember to SMILE ☺ that beautiful smile of yours all the time. You will cheer up all those you come in contact with, leaving you with a good feeling. It doesn't get any better than that. Take care until our next visit.
Come Join the Fun!
Do you want some extra support during your Journey? Would you like to have a place you can call "home," where you can be yourself? Our Message Board is just the place. It's home to all our Zonie friends who share their Journey experiences and are always willing and ready to offer support, laughs, friendship and ~ 24/7. Our DWLZ Message Board is at: http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/. Don't forget to register if you haven't already done so.
An Update on my Journey
Hi everyone! WOW! Time is sure flying; it will be Christmas before we know it! I'm doing awesome on Program and I absolutely love being back with my wonderful leader, Rene, who saw me to Lifetime in 1998. I never leave her meetings without a smile on my face. Between her and my fellow members I am always renewed after my meetings.
As you can see by my thermometer I am moving on out of the frozen area. My graph is slowly moving in the right direction and I'm happy about that too. Most of all I am extremely happy about staying on program, getting in some great exercise and getting on a regular schedule. WOO! HOO!
I've worked out a schedule that takes care of many aspects of my Journey. Some of the things I wanted to work into my healthy lifestyle were:
I've been getting about 7 hours of sleep FINALLY! I get to bed by 10:30 pm (okay, I fight it but am usually in bed by 11 pm) and I'm up at 7 am. Al is my Drill Sergeant and makes sure I stick to this schedule and I really appreciate his help. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I head to Bally's Gym and workout. I usually hit the Elliptical for 30 minutes, then the circuit weights. On Mondays and Fridays I add in water aerobics for an hour after my circuit weights. Yes, you heard it right, water aerobics! I finally went to my very first class last Monday and absolutely loved it. It's a great aerobics program that doesn't bother my joints or arthritis. I have to tell you, it was quite a workout. I was amazed! I went again on Friday and am already looking forward to my class on Monday. On top of my gym time I try and walk with Al when I'm in the mood for some extra activity. Last week I got 7.5 miles in while walking with the love of my life. How great is that?
- Sleep. I want to get at least 6-7 hours of sleep a night.
- Exercise. I want a regular exercise routine, 4 times a week.
- Go to my Weight Watcher meeting every Wednesday at 9:15 am.
- I want to listen to Dr. Roberta's Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs 4 times a week.
I've covered the sleep and the exercise. I'm proud to report I haven't missed any of my weekly Weight Watcher meetings. I've also listened to Dr. Roberta's Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday after my workout at the gym. I'm feeling great!
As for my eating, I've been staying on Program and within my Points allowance. I've been slowly taking most 'junk food' out of my eating as they eat up my Points so fast. I like to split my Points for the day like this - half for breakfast until dinner and the other half for dinner and after. For breakfast I like a serving of oatmeal and a slice of bacon. Then, until dinner, I like to 'graze' ~ that is every couple of hours I have a little something, usually fruit, cheese stick, etc. The rest of my Points are for dinner and after. It works for me.
I haven't had any problems getting enough water in since I've not kept any diet pop that I love in the house. Amazing how that works - no redlight food or drinks - no problem getting in the right food and drink.
Guess what? I am taking a Dreamweaver class at Portland Community College. It's not a credit class but one I've been wanting to take. It's been a bit easy since I work with Dreamweaver but the goal of taking the class is to learn how to do some things the right way since I've not really learned all the aspects of this program. Al is taking the class with me. He's never worked with Dreamweaver so it's been great for him. He also is quite the gentleman and carries my books to class for me. Yes indeed, he's a keeper!
I just celebrated my 51st birthday on October 5th and I have to tell you all, I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. I would like to thank all of you who have signed my birthday threads on the Message Board and who have sent me Happy Birthday emails. You're the best! THANK YOU.
We are all born with a positive mental attitude. We learn to be negative.
Nothing great was ever achieved without a positive mental attitude.
When you maintain a positive mental attitude, the problems of your
world tend to bow before you.
The most significant decision you
can make on a day-to-day basis is the choice of your attitude.
Make a positive attitude your daily habit.
by Alexander Lockhart
"Enjoying Weight Loss"
As many of you know, I use Dr. Roberta’s Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs as one of my "tools" on my lifelong Journey to a healthier me. They continue to be an irreplaceable part of my Journey back to goal.
I am happy to see that the Hypnosis Network is continuing to offer Dr. Roberta’s Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs for $97. For anyone who is "hypnosis-friendly" (about 90% of the human population can derive some benefit from hypnosis) the money could not be better spent. If you are interested in learning more about Dr. Roberta’s Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs you can read our review at http://www.dwlz.com/hypnosisreview.html. I would not recommend them if they hadn't of worked for me.
Here is what the Hypnosis Network says:
Dr. Roberta’s Enjoying Weight Loss was tested and recommended by the
National Health & Wellness Club.
Click Here to go directly to their site and find out more about the Hypnosis Network, and how you can order your CDs.
In the National Health & Wellness Club's Product Test Program, club members conduct their own independent tests of health and wellness products. The fifty independent testers who tried Enjoying Weight Loss gave the program a 92% approval rating.
The Hypnosis Network is still offering a special on the Enjoying Weight Loss CDs. The Enjoying Weight Loss CDs are only $97, a savings of $22 off the regular price. They are also including the Mental Toughness CD.
Thank you to all of you who continue to be there for me and support me in my Journey to becoming a healthier me. Thank you for caring.
Always remember, "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."
Halloween Candy Nutritionals
- 3 Musketeers, 2 fun size bars (140 cal/4.5 g fat/0 g fiber/26 g carbs)
- 1000 Grand, 2 bars (190 cal/8 g fat/<1 g fiber/30 g carbs)
- Annabelle's Mini ABBA ZABBA (1 bar) (50 cal/1 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs)
- Annabelle's Mini Big Hunk Bars (1 bar) (50 cal/0.5 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs)
- Annabelle's Mini Look Bars (1 bar) (50 cal/1.5 g fat/0 g fiber/9 g carbs)
- ABC Fruit Chomps, 7 pieces (140 cal/1.5 g fat/0 g fiber/32 g carbs)
- Almond Roca (3 pieces) (210 cal/15 g fat/0 g fiber)
- America’s Original Bubble Gum, 4 (60 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/16 g carbs)
- Atomic Fireballs, 1 (40 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/9 g carbs)
- Blow Pops, 1 (70 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/17 g carbs)
- Candy Corn, 22 pieces (150 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/37 g carbs)
- Cool Grape, Mini (3 boxes) (110 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/28 g carbs)
- Creme Savers SF Strawberries & Creme Hard Candy (5 candies) (45 cal/1.5 g fat)
- Dove Dark Chocolate (5 pieces) (210 cal/13 g fat/2 g fiber)
- Dove Milk Chocolate (5 pieces) (220 cal/13 g fat/1 g fiber)
- Ferrara Pan Atomic Fireballs (3) (70 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/17 g carbs)
- Good & Plenty (33 pieces) (130 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/33 g carbs)
- Jelly Belly Jelly Beans (35 pieces) (140 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/37 g carbs)
- Jolly Rancher Mini Stix, 1 (35 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/9 g carbs)
- Jujyfruits, Mini (3 boxes) (110 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/28 g carbs)
- Juicefuls, red raspberry, 3 candies (60 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/15 g carbs)
- Kit Kat, 1 (2-piece) bar (80 cal/4 g fat/0 g fiber/10 g carbs)
- Life Saver Five Flavor Candy, 4 (60 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/16 g carbs)
- Life Saver Gummi Savers, 2 rolls (110 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/27 g carbs)
- Life Saver Pops, 1 (40 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/10 g carbs)
- Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses, 6 pieces (150 cal/3 g fat/0 g fiber/33 g carbs)
- Milk Duds, 4 fun size boxes (160 cal/6 g fat/0 g fiber/26 g carbs)
- Nips, Chocolate Irish Cream Parfait, 2 pieces (60 cal/2 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs)
- Nips, Eggnog, 2 pieces (60 cal/1.5 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs)
- Necco Wafers, 1 roll (50 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/13 g carbs)
- Necco Sweethearts (1 box/1 oz) (110 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/28 g carbs)
- Nerds, 1 box (35 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/9 g carbs)
- Nestle Crunch Fun Size, 4 bars (200 cal/10 g fat/<1 g fiber/26 g carbs)
- Peter Pan Peanut Butter Cups, 4 pieces (230 cal/15 g fat/1 g fiber/21 g carbs)
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures (5 pieces) (210 cal/12 g fat/1 g fiber/22 g carbs)
- Skittles, 3 pkgs (170 cal/2.5 g fat/0 g fiber/36 g carbs)
- Smarties (1 roll) (25 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/7 g carbs)
- Snickers Minis (4 pieces) (170 cal/9 g fat/1 g fiber/22 g carbs)
- Sour Patch Kids (16 pieces) (140 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/36 g carbs)
- Spangler DumDum Pops, 3 (59 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/15 g carbs)
- Spree Twist, 2 rolls (60 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/14 g carbs)
- Starburst, 3 fun size pkgs (170 cal/2.5 g fat/0 g fiber/36 g carbs)
- Starburst Fruit Chews, 8 chews (160 cal/3.5 g fat/0 g fiber/33 g carbs)
- Sugar Babies, 2 snack size pouches (210 cal/2 g fat/0 g fiber/47 g carbs)
- Sugar Daddy Pops, 3 (160 cal/2 g fat/0 g fiber/34 g carbs)
- Sweet Tarts, 2 rolls (50 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/12 g carbs)
- Tootsie Hot Chocolate Pops, 1 (70 cal/.5 g fat/0 g fiber/17 g carbs)
- Tootsie Roll Midgees, 6 pieces (160 cal/3 g fat/<1 g fiber/33 g carbs)
- Tootsie Caramel Apple Pops (1 pop) (70 cal/0.5 g fat/17 carbs)
- Tootsie Fruit Smoothie Pops (1 pop) (60 cal/0 g fat/16 carbs)
- Tootsie Hot Chocolate Pops (1 pop) (70 cal/0.5 g fat/17 carbs)
- Tootsie Pops, Miniature (3 pops) (60 cal/0 g fat/14 carbs)
- Trident Sugarless Gum (1 stick) (<5 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/1 carbs)
- Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel Cherry Candy, 3 pieces (120 cal/.5 g fat/0 g fiber/28 g carbs)
- Twizzlers Strawberry Twists, 4 twists (120 cal/.5 g fat/0 g fiber/29 g carbs)
- Vines FF SF (7 pieces) (140 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/31 g carbs)
- Wild Cherry, Mini (3 boxes) (110 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/28 g carbs)
- Wonka Nerds Gumballs, 1 (45 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs)
- Wonka Runts, mini bag (0.65 oz) (70 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber)
- Wonka Shock Tarts Gumball, 1 (30 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/8 g carbs)
- Wrigleys Chewing Gum, 5 pieces (50 cal/0 g fat/0 g fiber/10 g carbs)
Software You Can Use!
The Weight Commander is an awesome program for your Journey. I highly recommend it to all those who are on a Journey of their own. It is a wonderful program to track your progress on any weight loss program you are using. You can read My Review of the Weight Commander or go straight to the source and check out this great software by following this link to Weight Commander. He has many tips and ideas throughout his program which will help you to be successful on your Journey.
Note from Al: I mentioned in the last Dotti's Newsletter that I had started seriously test-driving The Weight Commander for myself. And I have been very excited by the results I have seen! I am suddenly right back on track, and down in my target weight range.
You can read how The Weight Commander has impacted my weight control journey in the most recent Al's Journey entry, and you can read my review of the program on the same page with Dotti's Weight Commander review.
As I have said before, at under $10, it is very under priced, and you can even download it for free and test it out before deciding if you like it.
The Weight Commander has already made a significant and positive impact on my journey, and if you use daily, it can do the same for you!
If you enjoy tracking your journey at all, you will almost certainly like the Weight Commander; and you will certainly like Michael, no matter how you feel about the software!
Magic Orange Brew
Makes 12 servings
- 1 8 oz. carton vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups orange soda
- Put vanilla yogurt, orange juice and 2 cups of the orange soda in the blender container.
- Blend on high speed until combined.
- Pour mixture into 2 ice trays.
- Cover trays with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Freeze for 6 hours.
- Before serving, remove frozen cubes from 1 ice cube tray.
- Put cubes in the blender container and add 1 cup of orange soda.
- Cover and blend on high speed until slushy.
- Pour into 6 glasses. Repeat.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare the fruit mixture. Pour into ice cube trays. Cover and freeze up to 24 hours.
Per serving: 67Calories, 0 g Total Fat, 22 mg Sodium, 0 g Dietary Fiber, 1 mg Cholesterol,
15 g Carbohydrate, 1 g protein
~~~Recipe from Low-Fat Recipes
Penny's Low Fat Desserts
Note from Penny
Try some of Penny's awesome MUFFINS and COOKIES:
10% off the purchase of Assorted Ones! Muffins (Enter code: ONE4ME) Valid through 10/15/07.
Shop our website for additional specials!
Sign up for Penny's newsletter and receive a special offer to
try us as well as new product information.
It's important to have special foods that keep you going.
customers keep returning for desserts that have helped them lose
and maintain their weight. Their muffins and cookies have just
what you're looking for...
* Low Calorie, Low Fat, High Fiber
* 0 transfats
* All Natural and Kosher
* Generously sized single servings & Individually Wrapped
* Lots of Variety
Muffin Flavors: Zucchini, Orange-Cranberry, Apple Cinnamon, Cherry, Raspberry, Black Forest, Lemon Poppy, Blueberry, Banana, Strawberry-Banana. 2 Assortment Boxes are available.
Cookie Flavors: Chocolate Chip, Mocha Chip, Mint Chip, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Raisin, Pumpkin Raisin, Lemon, Macaroon, Maple Walnut. 2 Assortment Boxes are available.
TO ORDER: http://www.PennysLowFatDesserts.com/
EMAIL PENNY: Penny@PennysLowFatDesserts.com or call (866) 221-5109
Top 10 Signs You're a Trick or Treating Weight Watcher ~
10. You know how many door knocks it takes to earn an activity point.
9. You're the only Power Ranger in the neighborhood with a pedometer and a
8. You ask each house if they mind if you step on their scale -- just to compare.
7. You ask to trade candy corn for the real stuff.
6. When someone drops a candy bar in your bag, you yell out the # of POINTS!
5. Your costume has a handy water bottle holder so you can meet your
water requirements for the day.
4. You ask to use the bathroom every 3rd house because of #5.
3. At the end of the night, you sort your candy by POINT value.
2. You ask for high fiber candy only.
1. Your goodie bag has a half filled out journal taped to it.
~~~Thank you Cynthia, aka Crazytrkr
Pizza Fit'n Free
Note from Pizza Fit'n Free
It’s that time of year where many of you are recommitting to your Journey or starting one for the very first time. If pizza is one of your favorite foods (like me) you don't have to give it up. This pizza is delicious and fits very well into your Program. Pizza Fit’n Free is Fat Free and only 252 Calories for the entire 7” Pizza. Pizza Free is only 4 Points® on Weight Watchers® or one meal if you are on Nutrisystem®. Visit us online at www.PizzaFree.com for more information on our revolutionary product.
I love these pizzas. I like to add fresh veggies and some turkey
pepperoni before baking. ~ Dotti
TO ORDER: www.PizzaFree.com
Nutrition Facts: www.PizzaFree.com/FAQ.htm
Note: Points® is a registered trademark of Weight Watchers International, Inc. The Points® values displayed were calculated by Pizza Fit'n Free, and is not an endorsement or sponsorship of Pizza Fit’n Free’s products by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Isn't it great trying new foods? I am amazed at all the new foods I've tried and liked! Enjoy!
- Weight Watchers 1 Point Yogurt ~ Strawberry, Lemon Cream Pie, Black Cherry
[70 calories/0 g fat/2 g fiber/12 g carbs/4 g protein/80 mg sodium]
- Oh Boy! Oberto Turkey Jerky, 1 snack bag
[120 calories/1.5 g fat/0 g fiber/12 g carbs/15 g protein/720 mg sodium]
- Oh Boy! Oberto Beef Teriyaki Jerky, 1 snack bag
[120 calories/1 g fat/0 g fiber/11 g carbs/17 g protein/670 mg sodium]
- Oh Boy! Oberto Beef Original Jerky, 1 snack bag
[110 calories/1 g fat/0 g fiber/10 g carbs/16 g protein/670 mg sodium]
- Trader Joe's Multigrain Tortilla Chips, 1 oz or 16 chips
[130 calories/5 g fat/3 g fiber/20 g carbs/2 g protein/140 mg sodium]
- Stouffer's Lasagna with Meat Sauce, 1 cup or 7.5 oz
[280 calories/10 g fat/2 g fiber/33 g carbs/15 g protein/860 mg sodium]
Vitalicious - Vitamin-fortified, delicious, better-for-you baked goods
Note from Vitalicious
Try Vitalicious™ new exquisitely delicious Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Flavored VitaBrownies With CoroWise™ brand Naturally Sourced Cholesterol Reducer™ plant sterols. These Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Flavored VitaBrownies have 100 calories, 1.5 g fat, 6 g fiber,
21 g carbs, 3 g protein and 140 mg sodium.
Why not try some today while you get a 10% discount!
Use Coupon Code
While visiting Vitalicious, don't forget to check out their VitaMuffins
which are fortified with at least 15 essential daily vitamins and minerals.
They have an awesome selection which includes:
BlueBran, CranBran, MultiBran, AppleBerryBran, Deep Chocolate, Low-Carb/Sugar-Free
BananaNut and Velvety chocolate, VitaBrownie, and Double Chocolate Dream.
Vitalicious™ VitaTops, VitaMuffins and
VitaBrownies are delicious.
They are healthy, taste great and fit within any program you are
using to attain your healthy new lifestyle.
Pumpkin Harvest Vita Muffins
Here are some great 1 point muffins from Vitalicious! Great Halloween Party treats!
Makes One Dozen 2-oz VitaMuffins (as packaged) 100 Calories 6g Fiber 0g Fat
as prepared below: 118 Calories 6.5g Fiber 1.5g Fat
Tip: Freeze any unused Pumpkin Harvest VitaMuffins for a later date.
1 package of Blue Bran VitaMix
2 egg whites
1 cup water
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 Tablespoons Smart Balance Light®
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line standard muffin pan with baking cups (for best results use foil baking cups) or use VitaTop baking pans. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl combine Blue Bran VitaMix, water, egg whites, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla extract, ginger and nutmeg. Then melt the Smart Balance and pour into bowl. Mix well.
Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of VitaMix into baking cups or pan. Bake for about 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over top of each VitaMuffin and allow thorough cooling. Enjoy!
Omega-3 ~ What Foods Contain It?
Omega-3 fat is very good for you and can be found in fish, walnuts, canola oil and flaxseed. Guess what? You only need about 1 g a day of Omega-3 for your health and well-being. Do any of you remember your Mom making you take Cod-Liver Oil? I sure do! Guess what? Cod-Liver Oil contains the Omega-3 fat.
- Walnuts, 1 oz ~ 1.9 g Omega-3
- Salmon, 3.5 oz ~ 1.4 g Omega-3
- Sardines, 3.5 oz ~ 1.4 g Omega-3
- Canola Oil, 1 tbsp ~ 1.3 g Omega-3
- Herring, 3.5 oz ~ 1.2 g Omega-3
- Mackerel, 3.5 oz ~ 1 g Omega-3
- Trout, 3.5 oz ~ 0.9 g Omega-3
- Tuna, fresh, 3.5 oz ~ 0.8 g Omega-3
- Swordfish, 3.5 oz ~ 0.7 g Omega-3
- Tuna, canned, 3.5 oz ~ 0.5 g Omega-3
- Flounder, 3.5 oz ~ 0.4 g Omega-3
- Crab, 3.5 oz ~ 0.4 g Omega-3
- Shrimp, 3.5 oz ~ 0.3 g Omega-3
- Cod, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
- Haddock, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
- Lobster, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
- Clams, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
- Catfish, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
- Scallops, 3.5 oz ~ 0.2 g Omega-3
Baja Bob's Cocktail Mixes
~ Home of the Original Sugar-Free Margarita Mix
Note from Baja Bob's
Try some Baja Bob's Sugar Free Cocktail Mixes today - What a great way to enjoy an occasional cocktail without any guilt! Enjoy and stay on your program! enter Code dotti10 when ordering and receive a 10% discount
Use Coupon Code
Enjoy a cocktail and
stay on your Program
The growing popularity of the Weight Watchers Diet, combined with Baja Bob's incredible taste, has helped to push this cocktail mix leader into the mainstream. Baja Bob's newest release, Mojito Mix, follows their other popular flavors. All of the Baja Bob's cocktail mixes contain approximately 70-100% less calories and carbs than traditional mixes sweetened with high fructose corn syrup making these mixes the perfect Weight Watchers addition.
Baja Bob's mixes are great with or without alcohol, allowing people who are watching their weight, or those who are forced to watch their sugar intake due to health reasons the opportunity to enjoy the great taste of a cocktail.
Baja Bob's cocktail mixes come in several flavors: Original Margarita, Wild Strawberry Margarita, Desert Key Lime Margarita, Crazy Caribe Pina Colada, Loco Lemon Sweet & Sour, Maui Madness Mai Tai, Cranberry Cosmo Martini Mix, Sour Apple Martini Mix, and more to come...
Note from Al: These are not only great tasting mixes, but you should at least visit their site to see their main logo.
It's great! I feel like I am at the ocean along with the breeze, the beach, bikinis, and Bob; come join the fun!
Did you know...?
Our Journey is not just about weight loss; it's about constantly learning new things...
Cantaloupe got its name from the place where it was first grown - the papal summer residence of Cantalupo, Italy.
In his first year in the automobile business, Henry Ford went bankrupt. Ten years later his second company also failed. On his third try, he was successful. Likewise, R.H. Macy went broke with his first two stores. The third one became famous.
The "World Almanac" got its name not because it contained world facts, but because it was published originally by a newspaper called the "New York World." The book took the name "World Almanac" to promote the paper.
~~~Strange & Fascinating Facts About Famous Brands by Charles Reichblum
Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
Al has written many in depth essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance and they are now available on the website!
Al has also added links on his Essays Page to his other articles on DWLZ, so you can find all of them easier.
|"You are worth whatever it takes to make your success a reality.
Always believe that because it is the truth!" -Al-
You can find Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance at:
Calcium Choices for You
~~~Change One by John Hastings
- Sugar-free pudding made with skim or low-fat milk, 1 cup
- Calcium-fortified orange juice, 1 cup
- Juice pop made with calcium-fortified juice
- Hot cocoa made with skim or low fat milk, 1 cup
- Skim or low-fat latte, medium size
- Cheese, reduced-fat
- Skim or low-fat milk flavored with sugar-free syrup, 1 cup
- Low-fat or skim milk, 1 cup
- Low-fat or nonfat yogurt, plain or artificially sweetened, 1 cup
- Yogurt smoothie: Mix 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup skim or low-fat milk, and 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries until smooth.
Fresh, Healthy Food Delivered To You
How would you like a personal chef and nutritionist to do all your food shopping and cooking? You would never again worry about eating healthy and you’ll save so much time. PurFoods Fitness makes it happen.
With PurFoods Fitness, you design your own personalized meal program from hundreds of delicious meals tailored to your tastes and healthy eating goals. PurFoods Fitness’ award-winning chefs prepare your meals and ship them fresh – never frozen – right to your door. Each week, a box of healthy, great-tasting meals and snacks arrives. No more shopping, cooking, or worrying about portion sizes and fat content. Eating healthy has never been this convenient.
Their food is absolutely delicious! I loved how it was delivered fresh to my door, ready to eat for whenever I wanted.
Click Here to read our review of PurFoods Fitness ~ we have tried these meals and they are absolutely delicious!
If you prefer you can Click Here to go directly to the PurFoods Fitness website to find out more about this wonderful program.
DWLZ Cookbooks One and Two
Have you ordered your
DWLZ Cookbooks yet? These cookbooks are filled with recipes that are Zonies' favorites, dishes that are delicious but on program, with nutritional information listed. This is two books in one package: DWLZ Cookbooks Volumes One and Two. The recipes are easy to make and don't use hard-to-find items. They are together in one PDF file, viewable in your free Acrobat Reader (Version 5 and higher). These make wonderful gifts.
Every day is a good day to stock up on some great tasting
Philly Swirl's Sugar-Free, Fat-Free Swirl Pops! They are
delicious and only 10 calories.
Keep your freezer stocked with these great 10 calorie pops which can be enjoyed anytime throughout the year. If you are interested in learning more about the Philly Swirl products please visit them at http://www.phillyswirl.com/ and drop them a line. They would love to hear from you. Psst...don’t forget to pass the word! We want to see these awesome Sugar-Free, Fat-Free Swirl Pops remain available to all of us on our Journey. Let's take the power we have to make a difference by passing the word about these awesome pops and keeping them available to us in the future.
DWLZ Website Updates
I am in the process of working on some updates and reformatting some of my pages
on my website.
Lists of all my updates can be found on the Message Board in the DWLZ
Website News & Updates forum at:
US restaurants updates can be found at our Restaurants
TOC page at:
Canadian restaurants updates can be found at our Canadian Restaurants TOC page at:
"Today is the first day of the rest of your health." ~~~Jamba Juice
Until our next visit, always keep in mind you are never alone on this Journey. We are all here with you, right beside you, rooting you on.
Take care until next time...
"I cannot relive yesterday and tomorrow isnít here yet, so I will just deal with today." ~Dotti
Newsletter Sign Up
If this newsletter was forwarded to you, you can sign up for it yourself at:
Dotti's Weight Loss Zone
And please don't forget to come and visit DWLZ!
If you are not already a regular visitor, it is time for you to come and make yourself at home at my web page, where you will find lots of tips on losing weight, and help in picking out good things to eat at your favorite restaurants, while still remaining on program. We have motivation, success stories, and much more. It is a lot like Disneyland: you'll have lots of fun, and you could never see it all in just one day! However, unlike Disneyland, Dotti's [ http://www.dwlz.com ] is open 24 hours a day, every day.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Copyright © DWLZ, Inc. - 2007, all rights reserved. This
document may be reproduced freely as long as it is always
reproduced in its entirety, including this copyright message, and
the disclaimer below, and as long as it is always distributed
free of charge.
Disclaimer - This newsletter is not meant to be a substitute for
any professional advice, guidance, or counseling. We are not
doctors. Any information contained in this email reflects our
own opinions and experiences. It is not intended in any way to
serve as or take the place of medical advice from a physician.