IN THIS ISSUE
|Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
||100-Calorie Salty Snacks
||Did You Know
||Al's Essays on Weight Loss
||Copyright and Disclaimer
Hi everyone! Monday, July 20th, was our son LeRoy’s 32nd birthday! Where did the time go? WOW! We spent the day with him and took him to his favorite restaurant. While at his house I helped him change his living room around and clean out his spare bedroom. He was very pleased with the outcome of both rooms.
OOPS! Some of you pointed out to me that the Low Fat Potato Salad recipe last issue didn't have any potatoes in it. The previous issue of Dotti's Newsletter had the potato salad in it, and I accidently brought that title over for the new recipe, which was really Tomato & Peach Salad.
I was wondering why I was getting emails asking me where were the potatoes in my Potato Salad?! I'm so sorry!
Today we are going to be talking a bit about how we can deal with the "energy drains"; you know, the ones where at a certain time (about 3 pm for me) you feel tired, sleepy and grumpy and don't want to do anything.
Okay, it's time to grab our tall glass of water and settle in our comfy chair for a nice visit. Don’t forget that great smile of yours.
Overcoming the "Energy Drains" During the Day
How many of you "burn out" by 3 pm or maybe twice a day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon? By "burn out" I mean you don't want to do anything but take a nap. You're so tired that your brain just can't function. I know that's me right down to the time of day. That is the time of day that I most feel like I'm struggling to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm sleepy enough for a short nap. I'm a bit hungry or is it that I'm thirsty? There is about a 30-minute period there where I don't know which end is up and frankly, I don't care.
One of the main reasons people experience periods of fatigue is because when you take in fewer calories than you burn, your body turns to the energy it has stored as fat. Are you feeling tired and grumpy? That energy drain is causing you to be that way.
One way to help with these "periods of less energy" is to eat smaller meals and then have your snacks frequently throughout the day. In fact, that is usually what I do (when I'm right on Program). I will split my Points/Calorie allowance for the day, using half before dinner and the other half for dinner and after. Instead of having the fruit with my oatmeal I'll save it and have it a couple hours later. This way I'm not using extra points. I'm using the points I would of had for breakfast. I've always been a grazer. I know that in a couple of hours after eating I will be looking for something else to eat. When you eat your lunch save the dessert (yes, you can have a dessert within your program) to eat a couple of hours after lunch. You'll need the "pick-me-up" then to keep on keeping on. By eating more throughout the day or grazing, as I call it, you are steadying your blood sugar levels so you won't feel that energy slump when your energy supplies start running low.
Protein provides the best boost in energy levels. Why? Protein is absorbed slowly and in return produces a constant source of energy. Fats and carbohydrates provide quick bursts of energy, which are quickly digested and metabolized. They also tend to be stored as fat in the body for later use. I have been eating a mozzarella cheese stick as a pick-me-up when I need it and it's true; it really does have lasting power. When I eat popcorn or some other fat or carbohydrate I want more food within the hour and it will usually bring on an eating spree.
When planning your protein into your meals and snacks, try to keep it to lean protein, not the high saturated fat protein products like fatty meats, hard cheeses, whole-fat dairy products, whole eggs, mayonnaise and luncheon meats. The high saturated fat in this protein will do more damage to you than the protein does good (heart disease, strokes, hypertension, high cholesterol and some forms of cancer). The fat content of saturated fat protein foods prevents the brain's appetite control center from shutting down which means soon after you eat that cheeseburger or luncheon meat sandwich you'll be hungry again. So, remember, there is a difference between the proteins and your aim is to keep them lean proteins.
It is quite easy to determine the number of grams of protein you need. If you are a fairly active person you would multiply your body weight in pounds by 0.5. For a very active person you need to multiply your weight in pounds by 0.7. If you are sedentary, you need to multiply your body weight by 0.4. Just remember that your body needs 15 to 35 percent of its total daily calories to come from protein.
Another way to combat these periods of fatigue during the day is to get in some extra physical activity in daily. I know—you're too tired to exercise. If that's what you are thinking, think again. Research has proven that physical activity, even walking, can actually make you feel more energetic. The thing is you have to actually do it. Remember this, you don't have to do a grueling workout. You can walk for 10 minutes on your break or 20 minutes at lunch. Every little bit helps towards keeping your energy level where it belongs. Did you know there are added benefits from getting up and moving throughout the day? Activity provides a psychological boost that can help you banish the blues and it can actually increase your self-confidence. We can all use a bit of that. Your stamina will increase which in turn will build reserves of energy for more activity. One good thing leads to another and it's all good.
Let's look at some snack ideas to help get you through those times when your energy level takes a dip.
Sweet, Steamy Drinks
Confections With No Guilt
- Try a decaf skim cappuccino sprinkled with cinnamon along with a small, plain biscotti
- In the cooler months why not have a nice cup of hot chocolate? Good choices are the Nestle or Swiss Miss 25 to 30 calorie packets, which are mixed with water.
- If you prefer tea why not try an orange, mint or chai tea, which contain natural sweetness.
- When you are at home try some homemade ginger tea. Combine grated fresh ginger, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon honey in a mug and pour in hot water. It is a great drink for after lunch because it aids digestion.
- Have a 1 oz piece of dark chocolate; my favorite. Yes, the hype is true about the dark chocolate being full of antioxidants. Even a small piece tastes decadent and rich. Dark chocolate has less sugar than milk chocolate. Most of the saturated fat in dark chocolate comes from stearic acid, which converts in your body to heart-healthy oleic acid (also found in olive oil). Another finding is that dark chocolate has been proven to reduce high blood pressure (I can see that ).
- I keep hard candies or lollipops in the house to keep my sweet tooth happy and content when it's yelling for something. You can usually eat three hard candies or one lollipop for a Point or 60-80 calories. Not a bad sweet fix!
- Why not try a sugar-free Jell-O or pudding cup, any flavor. I also love the Kozy Shack Tapioca Pudding when I'm craving that type of snack.
- If you can handle it, try keeping a bag of mini-size peppermint candies in the freezer and pull one out when that chocolate craving hits.
Fruit in a Whole New Way
- Frozen Bananas - Yummy and delicious! Try dipping them in the fat-free, sugar-free chocolate syrup, stick a popsicle stick in them and then freeze. Double YUM!
- Take those sweet and juicy Concord grapes and freeze them. You can pull out about 15 of them (one serving) whenever you want.
- Try about a 1/2 cup of nonfat vanilla yogurt with a peach diced into it.
- Take an apple, halve it and bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and top it with a tablespoon of nonfat sour cream.
- The same can be done with a pear. Halve it and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it and top with a tablespoon of nonfat vanilla yogurt.
- Grab a prepackaged pack of Ocean Spray Craisins - one of my favorite treats. They come in at 100 calories and are they ever yummy and, as the package says, the sweetest way to eat a cranberry.
Frozen Treats to Enjoy
- First check to see if it's ice cream you really want. Sometimes an ice cream craving is really a sign of thirst. Try having some cold water before you have some ice cream, as you might just be thirsty.
- Make sure you portion out your ice cream. Nowadays we have lots of 100-calorie, portioned out choices along with plenty of ice cream bars, which are low in calories and fat.
- Have a 1/2 cup dish of low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet.
High-Calcium Snacks, 100 to 200 calories
- A favorite of mine is a cup of low-fat cottage cheese with a peach, plum or cup of fresh berries thrown in. I like to use the mandarin oranges in the single-serving size. You can also go the veggie route and throw in some diced tomato or cucumber.
- Why not try an ounce of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, or cashews). I keep the single serving packs of Blue Diamond Almonds in the house. Quick to grab, prepackaged and very good for you.
- How about some cheese and crackers or fruit. Take an ounce of cheese (4 dice-sized cubes or one slice) and add a piece of fruit or some (about 6) whole grain crackers such as low-fat Triscuits, Wheat Thins or Wasa crackers.
- Have you ever tried edamame (shelled soybeans)? Now is the time. They are chewy and delicious. Al and I sometimes take them on our hikes. A 1/2 cup will pick you right up.
Still a bit tired? Get up and move around for a little while. This will get your blood pumping and increase your oxygen levels. Feeling an instant burst of energy? I know that when I'm working at the computer for a couple of hours and then take a 15 minute break and play a couple games of foosball with Al I'm always feeling "recharged" to go back to work. If you can't get up and move around try listening to one of your favorite tunes that pumps you up.
Another good idea is to keep some "pick-me-up" foods in your desk drawer or where you can readily grab them. Low calorie hot cocoa mix, herbal teas, Luna bars, granola bars, prepackaged almonds are just some ideas of what to keep on hand.
Don't forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day too. Getting dehydrated will make you feel tired and sluggish and also give you false signals. Maybe you're not hungry but thirsty.
Our visit has come to a close. Hope you all had a nice visit.
Until we meet again.
~~Women's Health, The Daily Fix by Alexa L. Fishback, MS, RD
~~100 Weight Loss Tips That Work by Fred A. Stutman, M.D.
® Vitamin-fortified, delicious, better-for-you baked goods
Vitalicious® VitaTops, VitaMuffins and VitaBrownies are delicious. They are healthy, taste great and
fit within any program you are using to attain your healthy
new lifestyle. ~ Dotti
Try Vitalicious® muffins today! They come in at 1 point on Weight Watchers and are the perfect snack.
Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
“If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.”
“Life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself.”
“The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places ”
Come Join the Fun!
Do you want some extra support during your Journey? Would you like to have a place you can call "home," where you can be yourself? Our Message Board is just the place. It's home to all our Zonie friends who share their Journey experiences and are always willing and ready to offer support, laughs, friendship and ~ 24/7. Our DWLZ Message Board is at: http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/. Don't forget to register if you haven't already done so.
100-Calorie Salty Snacks
Are you craving some salty snacks? I know I have one or two instances a month where I just have to have a salty snack. No sweets, just salt. Below is a list of a few salty snacks that come in at about 100 calories, which is doable on our Program. If you don't like counting the Chips serving size out, try to remember that a serving size is usually about a handful.
Potato hips, 12
Tortilla chips, 8
Baked tortilla chips, 10
Corn chips, 15
Pretzels, 20 thin sticks
Soft pretzel, about 1/3 of pretzel
Peanut butter-filled pretzel nuggets, 6
Rye wafers (such as Ryvita), 4
Wheat Thins (reduced fat), 15
Ritz Bits, 25
Peanut butter-filled crackers, 2 sandwiches
Rice cakes, 2 regular size
Weight Loss is 90% Mental
I use Dr. Roberta's Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs as an important help on my lifelong Journey to a healthier me:
- Whenever I listen to these CDs—I have a good day on program.
- Whenever I have failed to do well on program, it has always been when I stopped listening regularly.
- They continue to be an irreplaceable part of my Journey back to goal!
If you would like a power assist on your Journey I highly recommend these Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs!
Want to know more?
- There's lots of info on our Review Page—how this has worked for me.
- Don't want to pay all at once?—Just choose 3 equal installments!
What can you do to get your mind onboard with your weight loss desires?
—I honestly believe this is an answer to a dilemma that we all face. Come and read about it.
I will be interviewing one of the winners of "The Biggest Loser"
Watch for further details. ~ Dotti
Pineapple Sunrise Smoothies
I love smoothies and what better way to get your nutrients. The great thing about smoothies is you can have them anytime of the day. They are also a great pick-me-up if you are feeling tired and sluggish.
- 1 can (14 oz) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 ice cubes
Per Serving (1 1/2 cup):
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1 cup pineapple (refrigerate remaining pineapple for another use).
- In a blender, combine the pineapple juice, pineapple, banana, raspberries, sugar and ice; cover and process until smooth. Stir if necessary.
- Pour into chilled glasses; serve immediately.
Resource: ~~Taste of Home Smoothies & Other Beverages
- 205 cal/1g fat/6g fiber/56g carbs/18mg sodium/1g protein] *3 (3.5)
Below are some of my new food finds. I love finding different foods to try.
- Jimmy Dean D-lights Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bowl —1 bowl
[230 cal/7g fat/2g fiber/19g carbs/730mg sodium/23g protein] *5
- Blue Diamond Almonds, 1 oz. pre-packaged—1 package
[160 cal/14g fat/3g fiber/6g carbs/0mg sodium/6g protein] *4
- Ocean Spray Craisins, 100 Calorie Pack—1 package
[100 cal/0g fat/2g fiber/23g carbs/0mg sodium/0g protein] *3
Software You Can Use!
— And Now Available Online!
Weight Commander is an awesome program for your Journey. I
highly recommend it to all those who are on a Journey of their own.
It is a wonderful program to track your progress on any weight loss
program you are using. You can read My Review of
the Weight Commander or go straight to the source and check out
this great software by following this link to Weight
Commander. He has many tips and ideas throughout his program,
which will help you to be successful on your Journey.
And for those who don't feel comfortable downloading software, or who cringe when Windows gives them another unnecessary warning about running perfectly safe software, Michael has created a wonderful online version of Weight
Commander, where you can always access your information with privacy, with no worry about trying to transfer it from computer to computer when you switch. You can of course still get the software version (which continues to work very well, even on my Windows Vista computer), but the online version of Weight
Commander is a wonderful new option! You make the choice, but you win either way.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Do you have to tell it all?
Where do you get the glaring right
To make my clothes look just too tight?
I think I'm fine but I can see
You won't cooperate with me;
The way you let the shadows play
You'd think my hair was getting gray
What's that, you say? A double chin?
No, that's the way the light comes in;
If you persist in peering so
You'll confiscate my facial glow,
And then if you're not hanging straight
You'll tell me next I'm gaining weight;
I'm really quite upset with you
For giving this distorted view;
I hate you being smug and wise -
O, look what's happened to my thighs!
I warn you now, O mirrored wall,
Since we're not on speaking terms at all,
If I look like this in my new jeans
You'll find yourself in smithereens!!!
Baja Bob's Cocktail Mixes
~ Home of the Original Sugar-Free Margarita Mix
Note from Baja Bob's
Sugar Free California
Mudslide Mix Singles
of the Weight Watchers
Diet, combined with
Baja Bob's incredible
taste, has helped to push
this cocktail mix leader
into the mainstream.
Baja Bob's mixes are great with
or without alcohol, allowing people who are watching their weight, or those who
are forced to watch their sugar intake due to health reasons the
opportunity to enjoy the great taste of a cocktail.
Code dotti10 when ordering and receive a 10%
Enjoy a cocktail
and still stay
on your Program
Mudslides are delicious, creamy frozen coffee & chocolate cocktails usually made with rum or vodka. Unfortunately, they are also loaded with sugar, calories and carbs, which leaves you feeling...well let’s be honest here... FAT. The average sugar-loaded Mudslide runs over 275 calories per cocktail!
Baja Bob pulled his last few hairs out trying to figure out how to make this one good enough to call his own. Baja Bob's new California Mudslide Mix contains real cocoa, coffee powder, and is sweetened with Splenda. The Mudslide mix has ZERO calories and ZERO sugar per serving! Note: The alcohol contains approximately 70 calories and 0 carbs per serving.
Take these mudslides with you anywhere. Each box comes packed with 10 single-serve powdered packets. Simply blend contents of packet with water, ice and your favorite alcohol to create a delicious California Mudslide!!!
Rules to Live by
ONE. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
TWO. Marry someone you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
THREE. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.
FOUR. When you say, 'I love you,' mean it.
FIVE. When you say, 'I'm sorry,' look the person in the eye.
SIX. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.
SEVEN. Believe in love at first sight.
EIGHT. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.
NINE. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
TEN. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
ELEVEN. Don't judge people by their relatives.
TWELVE. Talk slowly but think quickly.
THIRTEEN. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, 'Why do you want to know?'
FOURTEEN. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
FIFTEEN. Say 'bless you' when you hear someone sneeze.
SIXTEEN. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
SEVENTEEN. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.
EIGHTEEN. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
NINETEEN. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
TWENTY. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
TWENTY- ONE…Spend some time alone.
~~Sent to me in an email and I thought I'd share it with all of you.
Pears are one of the most powerfully cleansing foods around. They contain pectin, a soluble fiber that keeps the digestive tract healthy.
Did you know that pears are both a laxative and a diuretic and help keeps your colon in good health? Pears also have a high iodine content, which can aid thyroid function.
Having a "pear-only day" - when you just eat pears and drink eight large glasses of water - is an excellent way to detox and helps control cravings.
Pears are available all year round. The harder varieties are great with savory foods and the sweeter, juicier ones are perfect for juicing and desserts.
Nutrients: Vitamin C, beta-carotene, folate; calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc; pectin
Resource: ~~The Top 100 Diet Secrets by Anna Selby
5% off Cookies, TOPS and Muffins!
PENNY'S LOW FAT DESSERTS
——Rave Reviews because they taste the best!
(thru 7/31, Sampler Excluded)
Our Cookies = 2 pts.
Penny's is so good, they're
available at select
Whole Foods Markets
$18 Sampler, free shipping
(5 TOPS, 3 cookie flavors)
Follow Penny Pearl on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PennysLowFatDes
Cookies (2 pts.): Chocolate with Peanut Butter, White Chocolate with Cranberries, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin
TOPS (1pt.) and Muffins (2 pts.): Almond Poppy, Carrot Raisin, Apple Cinnamon, Orange Cranberry, Chocolate-Chocolate Chip
Penny's Really Taste Best!
Email Penny: Penny@PennysLowFatDesserts.com
I had the Oatmeal raisin (my favorite), Almond poppy seed and the carrot raisin (second fave). These were sooooo good. Now I have eaten and enjoyed (competitive brand) but these were better in my opinion. For one there is no artificial sweetener (the devil in my opinion) and they were WAY more hearty. These were very dense and I have to say, gloried cake! YUM! In a goooood way…they ROCK! …These are low cal, low in fat and high in fiber. Could you ask for more? When I opened the Carrot one I popped it in the microwave for 15 seconds and OH MY GAWD!!! It was like having a fresh baked piece of heaven. Try them out!"
H.H. - Food Reviewer and Blogger
Banana Split Smoothies
This smoothie tastes just like a banana split and it's not too sweet so you can enjoy it any time of the day. What a great way to get kids to enjoy eating their fruit!
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 5 ice cubes
- Whipped topping, chocolate syrup and maraschino cherries
- In a blender, combine the first five ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add ice, blending until slushy.
- Pour into chilled glasses.
Per Serving (3/4 cup):
183 cal/3g fat/2g fiber/37g carbs/47mg sodium/4g protein *3.5
Resource: ~~Taste of Home Smoothies & Other Beverages
DWLZ Cookbooks One and Two
Have you ordered your DWLZ Cookbooks yet?
These cookbooks are filled with recipes that are Zonies' favorites, dishes that are delicious but on program, with nutritional information listed. These are two books in one package: DWLZ Cookbooks Volumes One and Two.
The recipes are easy to make and don't use hard-to-find items. They are
together in one PDF file, viewable in your free
Acrobat Reader (Version 5 and higher). These also make wonderful gifts.
Did You Know?
Our Journey is not just about weight loss; it's about constantly learning new things…
Resource: ~~That's a Fact Jack! by Harry Bright and Jakob Anser
- The word "deadline" originated in Civil War prisons, where lines were drawn that prisoners passed only at the risk of being shot.
- Skin is the body's largest organ. An average adult's skin weighs 8 to 10 pounds, making it two to three times as heavy as the brain.
- Bubble gum is pink because Walter Diemer, a Fleer employee, had only pink coloring left when he mixed up his first successful batch.
- Charlie Chaplin once lost a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest. He failed even to make the finals.
Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
Al has written many in depth essays on Weight
Loss and Maintenance and they are now
available on the website!
can find Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
DWLZ Website Updates
Keeping Dotti's Weight Loss Zone current is a full time job and then some. Anytime you would like to find my latest updates you can find them at these links:
Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability
to stick to one thing till it gets there. —Josh Billings .
Another visit is coming to a close ~ how fast the time goes when you are having a great time. Until our next visit, always keep in mind you are never alone on this Journey. We are all here with you, right beside you, rooting you on.
Take care until next time…
Dotti's Weight Loss Zone
And please don't forget to come and visit DWLZ!
If you are not already a regular visitor, it is time for you to come and make yourself at home at my web page, where you will find lots of tips on losing weight, and help in picking out good things to eat at your favorite restaurants, while still remaining on program. We have motivation, success stories, and much more. It is a lot like Disneyland: you'll have lots of fun, and you could never see it all in just one day! However, unlike Disneyland, Dotti's [ http://www.dwlz.com ] is open 24 hours a day, every day.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Copyright © DWLZ, Inc. - 2009, all rights
reserved. This document may be reproduced freely as long as it is
always reproduced in its entirety, including this copyright message,
and the disclaimer below, and as long as it is always distributed
free of charge.
Disclaimer - This newsletter is not meant to be a substitute for any
professional advice, guidance, or counseling. We are not doctors. Any
information contained in this email reflects our
own opinions and experiences. It is not intended in any way to serve as
or take the place of medical advice from a physician.
possible, I calculate ALL my Points on my Offline Points Calculator in
the Half Points Mode, which rounds UP to the nearest Half Point. This
keeps my site consistent. All point values shown in BLACK are
calculated with the 10-gram fiber cap [Original 123 Success Points].
When there is a difference with the 4 gram fiber cap calculation, I
show the points value for that in RED.
Note: Points® is a registered trademark of Weight Watchers
International, Inc. The Points® values displayed are not intended in any way to show an endorsement or sponsorship of any product or organization by Weight Watchers International, Inc.