Happy 4th of July holiday!
How many of you are on-the-run a lot during these summer months? While you are on-the-run, how many of you eat-on-the-run also? That means grabbing something at the nearest fast food location or eating out at a sit-down restaurant because you need to take a break and want to be waited on. Today we will be talking about this and how we can stay on Program while being busy out of the house.
Let’s find that comfy chair, grab our tall glass of water and settle in for a nice visit. Don’t forget that great smile of yours.
Eating on the Run Can Be On Program
Let's talk a little about how we can be smarter when we are eating out. What are some of the ways we can help ourselves stay on Program while enjoying a meal out? Over the years on Program I have learned a few things about how to eat smartly at my favorite restaurants. I'd like to share them with you.
In closing I’d like to add that you can stay on your Program if you are nutritionally aware of the foods offered and are strong-minded that you will stay on your Journey and not get knocked off by a lousy food choice which will be neither satisfying nor healthy for you.
Have a great July 4th holiday.
- Check out the restaurant ahead of time if you can. (See next item. ) A lot of times they will give you a menu to take home. You can also find most restaurants and their menus on the internet. By doing this you will have an idea of your food choices.
- Check DWLZ Restaurants to find out nutritional info/Points, if you are on Weight Watchers, of over 550 restaurants.
- Don't be afraid to nicely ask your server for any changes or additions you would like. They are there to make you, the customer, happy.
- Always ask for water when you sit down. Water is good for you and will help fill you up.
- At Mexican restaurants (my favorite), send the basket of tortilla chips away. But if that's not possible, limit yourself to just a handful. An average size of a basket of tortilla chips is a whopping 640 calories and 34 grams of fat!
- Always ask for butter, sauces, salad dressings and such on the side. This way you control how much you use, the chef doesn't.
- If you are ordering breakfast ask for egg beaters and low-calorie syrup. I have found that most restaurants offer these substitutions. Ask for your toast or English muffin dry and add your own jam/jelly to it—a calorie/fat savings for sure.
- Ask the server if the chef would only put half of what he normally would on the plate. I've had great success with this tip. I always tell the server I'm paying the same amount but I just don't want all that food and don't want to take any home.
- If appetizers are being ordered, order some soup (stick with broth-based) or side salad.
- If I am finished eating but the others are not, I will ask the server to take my plate away. If that cannot be done immediately, I will pour salt all over the food on my plate to keep me from eating it after I have already had enough.
- Order off the Senior menu. I have done this many times explaining that I'm on a special diet and want less food. If there is a Light & Healthy menu, that would be a good choice also.
- Order some fresh fruit instead of the usual sweet dessert fares.
- Order foods that are steamed, broiled or poached instead of fried, sautéed, braised or stewed.
- Use the fork method with your dressings and sauces. I always order them on the side, and then just dip my fork into the containers to flavor my food. By the end of the meal I usually have stopped even dipping into them!
- Split a dessert. Al and I do that a lot. If you must have dessert, and there is no one to split it with, try this: split it in half, pour enough salt on one half, to destroy its appeal, and then eat only the other half. (Pouring salt over a dessert also works anytime that you have eaten enough of it to satisfy, but the rest of it will be sitting there tempting you to eat it, even though you really don't want it.)
- Order baked or broiled potatoes instead of mashed or french fries.
- Stay away from buffets. They are no-win eating environments, in my opinion.
- Put down your fork in-between bites.
- Order an appetizer and soup or salad instead of a main dish.
- Don't go to the restaurant "starving". Make sure you eat a little something beforehand.
- Wear snug-fitting clothes while dining out. It sounds silly but I guarantee you will eat less. Try it.
- Make sure your dinner companions support your Journey; those who don't will try to tempt you with foods not on your Program while saying things like "you can have it just this once".
- If your favorite restaurant does not carry light dressings, whole wheat bread or other healthy choices, ask the manager if it would be possible to add some healthy choices. They certainly know that customer satisfaction is what brings you back; so make sure you fill out those response cards.
Until we meet again.
® Vitamin-fortified, delicious, better-for-you baked goods
Try Vitalicious® muffins today! They come in at 1 point on Weight Watchers and are the perfect snack.
Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
“The key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
“In every problem are the seeds of its solution.”
“One definition of insanity is: Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.
Come Join the Fun!
Do you want some extra support during your Journey? Would you like to have a place you can call "home," where you can be yourself? Our Message Board is just the place. It's home to all our Zonie friends who share their Journey experiences and are always willing and ready to offer support, laughs, friendship and ~ 24/7. Our DWLZ Message Board is at: http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/. Don't forget to register if you haven't already done so.
4th of July Picnic
You know the standard fare at many 4th of July picnics—the cheeseburgers, potato salad, corn on the cob, and many more high-fat, high-calorie choices. Why not try something different this year.
96% Lean Ground Beef, 4 oz patty [150 cal/4.5g fat/0g fiber/0g carbs/60mg sodium/25g protein] *3.5
Low Fat Potato Salad, 1/6th prepared—see recipe below [149 cal/2.1g fat/2.1g fiber/27.6g carbs/134mg sodium/4.9g protein] *3
Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans [130 cal/0g fat/5g fiber/29g carbs/550mg sodium/6g protein] *1.5
Watermelon, 1 cup [46 cal/0g fat/1g fiber/12g carbs/2mg sodium/1g protein] *1
Corn-on-the-Cob, 1 large ear, no butter [120 cal/1.5g fat/4g fiber/27g carbs/20mg sodium/0g protein] *2
Low Fat Coleslaw, 1/6th prepared—see recipe below [48 cal/0.8g fat/1.7g fiber/9.2g carbs/194mg sodium/1.1g protein] *1
Veggies and Dill Dip, 1/8th prepared—see Dip recipe below [21 cal/0.1g fat/0.1g fiber/1.5g carbs/3.2mg sodium/3.4g protein] *0.5
Safeway Low Fat Mountain Grain Hamburger Buns, 1 bun [100 cal/0g fat/1g fiber/18g carbs/85mg sodium/4g protein] *2
Kraft Light Cheese Singles, 1 slice [50 cal/2.5g fat/0g fiber/2g carbs/330mg sodium/4g protein] **1
Total Points for meal = 15.5
Total Calories for meal = 814
Total Fat for meal = 11.5g
Total Protein for meal = 60.9g
GREAT SUMMERTIME OP TREAT!
My Journey Back to Goal—One Day at a Time
I lost a pound last week at my weekly Weight Watcher meeting! Woo! Hoo! I’ve been seeing a difference but not on the scale so it was especially nice last weigh-in.
I have stopped going to the gym as the time frame is just not fitting into my work time frame so my plan is to get into a regular routine with work, play and my elliptical first thing in the morning. I’ve been playing a lot since moving to Spokane and being so close to my son, LeRoy and my bestest friend, Tammy.
I’ve been dealing with a very painful left eye over the weekend that just wouldn’t subside. My HMO did not have an ophthalmologist on duty so I suffered. It is a problem which crops up once or twice a year resulting from dry eye, I believe—erosion of the cornea. Very painful. The only thing that heals it and relieves my pain is a bandage contact, kept on about a month or so.
I was able to be seen very early yesterday, Monday morning and all is well. Can you hear my sigh of relief?
I’ve been drinking my water and keeping within my Points for the day. I’ve been content on Program. I would like to start trying a new recipe every week and maybe making some meals ahead of time and freezing them. We’ll see how that goes.
My hypnosis CDs, Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis by Dr. Roberta Temes, continue to help keep my head in the right place. When I listen to them I’m relaxed and thinking only about my Journey and how great I feel. These CDs help me to stay focused and on Program.
If you are interested in learning about Dr. Roberta’s Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs you can read our section below describing them.
Have an awesome couple of weeks.
Remember, “If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.”
Weight Loss is 90% Mental
I use Dr. Roberta's Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs as an important help on my lifelong Journey to a healthier me:
- Whenever I listen to these CDs—I have a good day on program.
- Whenever I have failed to do well on program, it has always been when I stopped listening regularly.
- They continue to be an irreplaceable part of my Journey back to goal!
If you would like a power assist on your Journey I highly recommend these Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs!
Want to know more?
- There's lots of info on our Review Page—how this has worked for me.
- Don't want to pay all at once?—Just choose 3 equal installments!
What can you do to get your mind onboard with your weight loss desires?
—I honestly believe this is an answer to a dilemma that we all face. Come and read about it.
Low Fat Potato Salad
This is a delicious, creamy alternative to the higher fat potato salad served at most picnics.
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes, skin on, cubed
- 2 eggs, hard-cooked, chopped
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- ¼ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup green onions
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of water until tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Add the chopped eggs to the potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise and green onions together.
- Spoon on to potato and eggs and combine well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 149 cal/2.1g fat/2.1g fiber/27.6g carbs/134mg sodium/4.9g protein] *3
Below are some of my new food finds. Enjoy! The Veggie Crisps below are absolutely delicious and satisfying. I got them at Costco. YUM!
- Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Crisps (a combination of potatoes, carrots, and spinach), 1 oz, about 18 chips—great serving size!
[110 cal/3g fat/1g fiber/19g carbs/290mg sodium/2g protein] *2.5
- Fiber One Complete Pancake Mix, 1/2 cup mix (makes about 3 pancakes)
[180 cal/3.5g fat/5g fiber/36g carbs/440mg sodium/6g protein] *3
- Organic Harvest Medley (a gourmet blend of 4 California rices: CalMati Brown Rice; Wild Rice; Sweet Brown Rice; and Heirloom Red Rice) 1/4 cup dry—I cook it in my rice cooker
[150 cal/1.5g fat/4g fiber/35g carbs/0mg sodium/5g protein] *3
Software You Can Use!
— And Now Available Online!
Weight Commander is an awesome program for your Journey. I
highly recommend it to all those who are on a Journey of their own.
It is a wonderful program to track your progress on any weight loss
program you are using. You can read My Review of
the Weight Commander or go straight to the source and check out
this great software by following this link to Weight
Commander. He has many tips and ideas throughout his program,
which will help you to be successful on your Journey.
And for those who don't feel comfortable downloading software, or who cringe when Windows gives them another unnecessary warning about running perfectly safe software, Michael has created a wonderful online version of Weight
Commander, where you can always access your information with privacy, with no worry about trying to transfer it from computer to computer when you switch. You can of course still get the software version (which continues to work very well, even on my Windows Vista computer), but the online version of Weight
Commander is a wonderful new option! You make the choice, but you win either way.
A couple went for a meal to a Chinese restaurant and ordered the “Chicken Surprise.”
The efficient waiter brought the meal, set down a lidded cast iron pot, and left.
The wife started to serve herself, but suddenly the lid of the pot rose slightly and two beady little eyes looked around for a moment, before the lid slammed down.
“Good grief! Did you see that?” she asked her husband.
He shook his head, and she insisted, "Well, look in that pot!"
As he reached for the lid, it suddenly rose slightly, and as he yanked his hand back, he saw two little eyes looking around before he heard the lid clank down again.
Rather perturbed, he called the waiter over, explained what had happened, and said, "What is in that pot?"
“Please sir,” said the waiter. “What did you order?”
The husband replied, “Chicken Surprise.”
You're going to love this..................
You're going to hate yourself for loving this!
... wait for it...
“Ah! I am very sorry,” says the waiter. “Instead I brought you Peking Duck!”
Thank you Generosa
Baja Bob's Cocktail Mixes
~ Home of the Original Sugar-Free Margarita Mix
Note from Baja Bob's
popularity of the Weight Watchers Diet, combined with Baja Bob's incredible
taste, has helped to push this cocktail mix leader
into the mainstream. Baja Bob's newest
release, Mojito Mix, follows their other
popular flavors. All of the Baja Bob's cocktail mixes contain approximately 70-100% less calories and carbs than
traditional mixes sweetened
with high fructose corn syrup
making these the perfect Weight Watchers addition.
Baja Bob's mixes are great with
or without alcohol, allowing people who are watching their weight, or those who
are forced to watch their sugar intake due to health reasons the
opportunity to enjoy the great taste of a cocktail.
Code dotti10 when ordering and receive a 10%
Baja Bob's cocktail mixes come in several flavors: Original Margarita, Wild
Strawberry Margarita, Desert Key Lime Margarita, Crazy Caribe
Pina Colada, Loco Lemon Sweet & Sour, Maui Madness Mai Tai,
Cranberry Cosmo Martini Mix, Sour Apple Martini Mix, and coming in June…
Enjoy a cocktail and still
on your Program
Tips Along the Way
Replacing a full-sugar soda with a tall glass of water at mealtimes can help you lose around a pound a week.
Adding new food and variety to your plan will help keep your Journey interesting and keep you motivated.
Choose carbs wisely. For example, eat a 100 calorie apple instead of eating a 100 calorie serving of chips.
Eating fish is a good way to increase the healthy fats in your diet, which can help reduce the risk of heart attacks.
Recipe For The Winning Difference
1 cup of enriched Caring
1 cup of fortified Motivation
3 cups of undiluted Support
1 heaping cup of Program Knowledge at room temperature
A generous sprinkling of Hugs
- Blend together Caring and Motivation.
- Add in Support and Program Knowledge.
- Knead gently and roll into desired shapes.
- Sprinkle with Hugs.
PENNY'S LOW FAT DESSERTS
—Best Tasting and Healthy
If you're leery about ordering a new food find over the internet, try our $18 Sampler (5 muffin TOPS and 3 cookie flavors). Penny's all natural products are great tasting and we use only high quality ingredients. You'll love our TOPS and cookies, so give us a try!
$5 off* each box of any TOPS and Cookies thru 6/28
*(No code required. Sampler and muffins excluded)
Sign up for our newsletter to get specials!
Try our chocolate cookie assortment box for only $32 (from $37)!
Our Cookies are only 2 pts.
Big Size and Filling
Quality and Great
Penny's is available at some
Sign up for our NEWSLETTER and —
follow Penny Pearl on Twitter: http://twitter.com/PennysLowFatDes
Cookies (2 pts.): Chocolate with Peanut Butter, White Chocolate with Cranberries, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin
TOPS (1pt.) and Muffins (2 pts.): Almond Poppy, Carrot Raisin, Apple Cinnamon, Orange Cranberry, Chocolate-Chocolate Chip
“We only have one problem with Penny's cookies: they are gone too soon! You can toast them, microwave them, or if you are adventurous like Al, you can even spread them with peanut butter, but what you can't do, at least in our house: you can't leave them for later, because they disappear!
—Dotti & Al
Low Fat Coleslaw
- ½ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sugar (or sugar substitute)
- ¼ tsp celery seed, optional
- 1 16-ounce bag of ready-shredded coleslaw mix
Per Serving: 48 cal/0.8g fat/1.7g fiber/9.2g carbs/194mg sodium/1.1g protein] *1
- Whisk the mayonnaise, cider vinegar, mustard, sugar and celery seed together in a small bowl.
- Empty coleslaw mix into a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing on top and toss.
- You can add a tablespoon or two of nonfat milk if you need to thin the dressing a bit.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
DWLZ Cookbooks One and Two
Have you ordered your DWLZ Cookbooks yet?
These cookbooks are filled with recipes that are Zonies' favorites, dishes that are delicious but on program, with nutritional information listed. These are two books in one package: DWLZ Cookbooks Volumes One and Two.
The recipes are easy to make and don't use hard-to-find items. They are
together in one PDF file, viewable in your free
Acrobat Reader (Version 5 and higher). These also make wonderful gifts.
Did You Know?
Our Journey is not just about weight loss; it's about constantly learning new things…
Resource: ~~Strange & Fascinating Facts About Famous Brands by Charles Reichblum
- After the Bayer company introduced aspirin in 1899, it quickly became the top-selling non-prescription drug in the world. At first, it was sold as a loose powder. But sixteen years later, in 1915, Bayer gave us the first familiar aspirin tablets.
- Limousines got their name from the Limousin region of France, where they were first made.
- Leotards are named after Jules Leotard, a trapeze artist from France, who popularized the snug-fitting garment during his performances in the 1800’s.
- The J.J. Heinz company sells more than 50 percent of all the ketchup in the world.
Pizza Fit'n Free
Are you on a diet and miss great tasting pizza? With Pizza Fit'n Free you never have to give up pizza again!
With an average 7″ pizza containing over 600 calories and 20 grams of fat, dieters have been advised to avoid pizza in order to effectively lose weight. By creating a pizza that deviates from the stereotypical pizza, Pizza Free provides a product that American dieters are able to consume while still maintaining their strict diet regimens. Pizza Fit'n Free is the first and only pizza that contains zero grams of fat.
With Pizza Fit'n Free you don't have to feel guilty about enjoying a great tasting pizza anytime!
Order Online now and start enjoying pizza again!
This is a great low-fat, low-sodium dip for your veggies. You might just want to try this on your potatoes as well. Enjoy!
- 1 cup cottage cheese, non-fat
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 2 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
- Place the ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
[21 cal/0.1g fat/0.1g fiber/1.5g carbs/3.2mg sodium/3.4g protein] *0.5
Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
Al has written many in depth essays on Weight
Loss and Maintenance and they are now
available on the website!
can find Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
DWLZ Website Updates
Keeping Dotti's Weight Loss Zone current is a full time job and then some. Anytime you would like to find my latest updates you can find them at these links:
“Anything is possible. It's your choice whether or not you choose to make IT happen.”
Another visit is coming to a close ~ how fast the time goes when you are having a great time. Until our next visit, always keep in mind you are never alone on this Journey. We are all here with you, right beside you, rooting you on.
Take care until next time…
Dotti's Weight Loss Zone
And please don't forget to come and visit DWLZ!
If you are not already a regular visitor, it is time for you to come and make yourself at home at my web page, where you will find lots of tips on losing weight, and help in picking out good things to eat at your favorite restaurants, while still remaining on program. We have motivation, success stories, and much more. It is a lot like Disneyland: you'll have lots of fun, and you could never see it all in just one day! However, unlike Disneyland, Dotti's [ http://www.dwlz.com ] is open 24 hours a day, every day.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Copyright © DWLZ, Inc. - 2009, all rights
reserved. This document may be reproduced freely as long as it is
always reproduced in its entirety, including this copyright message,
and the disclaimer below, and as long as it is always distributed
free of charge.
Disclaimer - This newsletter is not meant to be a substitute for any
professional advice, guidance, or counseling. We are not doctors. Any
information contained in this email reflects our
own opinions and experiences. It is not intended in any way to serve as
or take the place of medical advice from a physician.
possible, I calculate ALL my Points on my Offline Points Calculator in
the Half Points Mode, which rounds UP to the nearest Half Point. This
keeps my site consistent. All point values shown in BLACK are
calculated with the 10-gram fiber cap [Original 123 Success Points].
When there is a difference with the 4 gram fiber cap calculation, I
show the points value for that in RED.
Note: Points® is a registered trademark of Weight Watchers
International, Inc. The Points® values displayed are not intended in any way to show an endorsement or sponsorship of any product or organization by Weight Watchers International, Inc.