Good morning my friends. How is everyone this fine morning in September? Our weather has finally cooled down a bit to some fallish temperatures, which I dearly love. My ideal temps would be between 65 and 75 degrees all the time! Hope this visit finds you all in good health and smiling a lot
Does everyone have their tall glass of water? Okay, we’re ready to find our most comfy chair and settle in to a nice visit.
—Don't forget to bring your beautiful smile!
Making Your Journey Fun and Easy
Are you one of the many people who pick September to start a Journey to a healthier, thinner new you? How do you like your Journey so far? Aren’t you feeling wonderful? I’m sure you are learning new things every day about how you can make this lifestyle change one that you can live with forever. Today we are going to talk a bit about some things that you can do to help make your Journey fun and easy. Sound good? Well all right! Let’s get started.
Here are a few ideas to help you make your Journey as easy as it can be:
Here are a few ideas to help you make your Journey fun and exciting:
- Organize. Keep a notebook filled with your favorite foods and meals with the points listed next to them. I have a notebook that I have my favorite foods starting in the front and my favorite meals starting in the back of the notebook. The advantage of writing down my favorite meals is that when I’m journaling my meals I can say, “Breakfast for Dinner—8 points” instead of writing every item of the meal. As for my favorite foods, when I have them written down with the points I can easily find them and mark the points on the food item.
- Pre-Bag Foods and Mark with Points Per Serving. When I buy snacks or anything in bulk, I take the time to weigh out and bag the serving size (such as Baked Cheddar Chips) and mark the points on the baggie. I also use a sharpie to mark all the foods I bring in the house with the Points per serving (see how the notebook above comes in handy?).
- Drink Your Water. I always try to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Believe it or not drinking your water keeps you hydrated and alert, helping you to make good choices on Program. I try to drink 1-2 glasses of water before breakfast. When I’m out and about I take a water bottle that can be easily filled throughout the day.
- Plan for the Day. When I leave the house for the day I pack a large lunchbox with foods that I might eat during the day—being prepared when not at home is the key to staying away from Fast Food, which is very high in points and gives you very little satisfaction. You will be hungry shortly after eating fast food and there will be no points left for the rest of the day. I prepare all the foods to grab (if I pack an orange I will peel it, section it and put it in a baggie) in case I'm driving when I get hungry. As I'm packing my lunchbox for the day I write down all the points of the food in the lunchbox so I have it journaled. When I get home, if I don't eat all of the food I packed, it is very easy, and pleasurable, to take the points back .
- Do “Smart” Grocery Shopping. When you go grocery-shopping try to shop the perimeter of the store first as that is where the best food choices are. On the cereal aisle, you will notice that the healthy cereals are on top while the sugary cereals are on the bottom, at the little one’s eye level. Grocery stores definitely have a plan to get you to buy the ‘wrong’ foods so you go prepared to do battle.
Produce first! Don’t worry too much about the price of produce. I was afraid that my food bill would double with all the “healthy” foods but have found that eating healthy did not cost any more money. Controlling my portions makes for more servings, making the food last longer.
- Don’t Deny Yourself. I never completely deny myself any food. You shouldn’t either. When it’s all said and done you will end up eating the food that you are denying yourself on top of all the other “healthy” food you've eaten along the way—trying to not eat the food you are craving.
I never go around eating carrots or celery sticks unless I’ve prepared them for a snack because, to me, that says, “I’m on a diet” and I’m not on a diet, I’m making a Lifestyle change. When I go out to eat I always have Bleu Cheese dressing on the side when I order a salad. I do “fork it” but it’s the real thing. I don’t care for fat-free dressing so why eat it?
- Ask For What You Want When Eating Out. Remember that restaurants are in the business of serving great-tasting food so that they will have new and repeat customers. You are one of those customers. You need to be sure to remember that you, the customer, has the right to ask for your food to be served the way you want it, not the way the cook wants to serve it. There are a few ways I get around being served too much food. Sometimes I will ask the waitress to ask the cook to bring me half of what I ordered. This way, I am watching my portion size and the food is not going to waste. Most times the restaurants have no problem with this. If it cannot be done, I will eat half of the meal and then ask the waitress to immediately take the plate away. I know that if the food sits in front of me I will nibble until it is gone. Remember you are the customer and the one paying for your meal. Be assertive.
- Enjoy Special Occasions. There is no reason to ever feel “deprived” when at special occasions. If it is an occasion where you are not bringing any food then gather yourselves a couple spoonfuls of everything you want to try. You are not feeling deprived and you are not going off program. Did you know that all your taste and flavor are really in the first couple bites? It’s true. So why have more! Another trick I like to use before attending special occasions is to eat a small meal and drink about half my water before attending. Drinking water does help keep you from overeating.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Try New Foods. I have discovered I like fresh mushrooms and many other vegetables, which I thought I didn't like because I never tried them. Now that is just sad. So, get out there and try new veggies and other foods that fit well with your Program. You might just find that you have added many new food choices to your menu.
- Journal Everything You Eat. This keeps you honest and holds you accountable for everything you put in your mouth. It also lets you know the areas where you are lacking (vegetables, fruits, etc). You would be surprised how fast the points add up! It is a good tool to help you get and maintain a healthy eating lifestyle.
- Take Baby Steps. Try focusing on journaling for one week, drinking water for the next one, walking a couple times a week for the next week, etc. Trying to do too much at once can be overwhelming. Take baby steps - you will get there in no time and the whole program will come together. Don't dwell on the amount of weight you have to lose.
I have given you just a few ideas on how to make your Journey of a Lifetime fun and easy. I’m sure all of you have other ideas that will work to accomplish the same results. Let’s take the next couple of weeks and work on making our Journey easy and fun.
- Buy yourself some flowers to brighten your day.
- Leave a positive phone message to yourself and play it when you are feeling ‘negative’.
- Try a new recipe once a week.
- Reward yourself at different milestones on your Journey. Do not make them food rewards.
- Write up some positive affirmations and place them in a pretty jar. Put the jar where you can see it so you can easily pull out some positive words when needed.
- Trade journals with a friend who is also on the same Journey.
- Create a scrapbook of your Journey, including many photos, embellishments and narratives of your Journey.
- Put a dollar in a pretty jar every time you make it to the gym or get in a good workout. (Since I started back to the gym on a regular basis this is what I’ve been doing – I have about $26 now!)
- Find new walking paths or hikes in your area.
- Get a dog! If you like dogs they are great friends and guess what? They need walking which in turn will get you in some activity.
- Get a cat. Al and I just got a kitty and boy he is great for reducing our stress level.
Until next time...
Vitalicious ® Vitamin-fortified, delicious, better-for-you baked goods
Note from Vitalicious
Try Vitalicious® muffins today! They come in at 1 point on Weight Watchers and are the perfect snack.
Vitalicious®, don't forget to check out their VitaMuffins which are fortified with at least 15 essential daily vitamins and minerals. They have an awesome selection which, includes:
BlueBran, CranBran, MultiBran, AppleBerryBran, Deep Chocolate, Low-Carb/Sugar-Free BananaNut and Velvety chocolate, VitaBrownie, and Double Chocolate Dream.
Vitalicious® VitaTops, VitaMuffins and VitaBrownies are delicious. They are healthy, taste great and
fit within any program you are using to attain your healthy
new lifestyle. ~ Dotti
Hi everyone! I’ve continued to stay on Program, as I listened to my "Enjoying Weight Loss" Hypnosis CDs
" twice a week—to help keep my 'head' in the game—and gotten in as much movement as possible.
As you can see I didn’t mention the gym this update. I was in a car accident on Wednesday, September 10, 2008. My chest and rib area on my right side were injured when the seat belt engaged. I tried to go to the gym on the following Tuesday, to work with my trainer. I thought I did well; sometimes the right side would hurt a bit but nothing serious, I thought. Come to find out, I was wrong. I was in so much pain the rest of the day and the day after that I had to put the gym on hold for a bit. I’m hoping to go back very soon though. I’m NOT giving up – it’s NOT an option! Al and I are hoping to get some walking in to help keep moving.
I will heal from my injuries from the accident. As of now, the doctors tell me healing is going to take some time for the “deep tissue” injury to my right side, under my rib cage. That was the worst of my injuries. My knees got banged up a bit also. I’m so glad I made it out of the accident with only the few injuries I had.
Al’s Mom is heading to the Oregon Coast on her yearly jaunt so we may join her for a few days. It will be a nice relaxing time and might just keep me from overdoing here at home
You can find my updates on My Lifetime Journey page
on DWLZ at:
Let’s all work hard these next couple of weeks on our Program. Most of all, try very hard to enjoy your new lifestyle. Make it a fun and exciting lifestyle that you can live with forever. Have an awesome couple of weeks until we meet again.
Come Join the Fun!
Do you want some extra support during your Journey? Would you like to have a place you can call "home," where you can be yourself? Our Message Board
is just the place. It's home to all our Zonie friends who share their Journey experiences and are always willing and ready to offer support, laughs, friendship and
. Our DWLZ Message Board is at: http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/
. Don't forget to register if you haven't already done so.
This is one of my favorite parts of our newsletter. I love to share new food finds. It's always great to get some new ideas for our meals, isn't it? Here are a few things that I tried recently.
- Kraft South Beach Living, Granola Clusters, Cherry Almond, 1 pkg
[130 Cal, 4g Fat, 6g Fiber, 18g Carbs, 55mg Sodium, 6g Protein] *2 (2.5)
- New Morning Mini Bites, Honey Graham, 1 pkg
[90 Cal, 2.5g Fat, 1g Fiber, 15g Carbs, 110mg Sodium, 1g Protein] *2
- General Mills, Fiber One Chewy Bars, Oats & Strawberries with Almonds, 1 bar
[140 Cal, 3g Fat, 9g Fiber, 29g Carbs, 90mg Sodium, 2g Protein] *1.5 (2.5)
- Kellogg’s Special K, Cinnamon Pecan, ¾ cup
[120 Cal, 2g Fat, 1g Fiber, 25g Carbs, 180mg Sodium, 2g Protein] *2.5
Your presence is a present to the world.
You’re unique and one of a kind.
Your life can be what you want it to be.
Take the days just one at a time.
~ Collin McCarty
Banana Yogurt Shake
What a great start in the morning or a pick me up in mid-afternoon!
Makes 4 cups
- 2 ½ cups 2% low fat milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 5 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients except ice cubes in blender or food processor.
- Process until thick and creamy.
- While blending, add ice cubes and process until smooth.
- Pour into tall glass and serve.
Per 1 cup serving:
206 Cal, 3g Fat, 2g Fiber, 40g Carbs, 90mg Sodium, 7g Protein *2.5
~favorite recipe from National Honey Board
Weight Loss is 90% Mental
I use Dr. Roberta's Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs
as an important help on my lifelong Journey to a healthier me:
- Whenever I listen to these CDs—I have a good day on program.
- Whenever I have failed to do well on program, it has always been when I stopped listening regularly.
- They continue to be an irreplaceable part of my Journey back to goal, and now I am listening several days every week!
If you would like a power assist on your journey I highly recommend these Enjoying Weight Loss Hypnosis CDs!
Want to know more?
- There's lots of info on our Review Page— see how this has worked for me.
- Don't want to pay all at once? —Just choose 3 equal installments!
What can you do to get your mind onboard with your weight loss desires?
— I honestly believe this is an answer to a dilemma that we all face. Come and read about it.
“Words of Wisdom”
Sometimes the paths we take are long and hard, but remember: those are always the ones that lead to the most beautiful views ~ Challenges come along, inevitably; how you respond to them determines who you are – deep down inside – and everything you’re going to be ~ Increase the chances of reaching your goals by working at them gradually ~ The very best you can do is all that is asked of you ~ Realize that you are capable of working miracles of your own making ~ Remember that it’s up to you to find the key that unlocks the door to a more fulfilling life ~ Understand that increased difficulty brings you nearer to the truth of how to survive it - and get beyond it ~ Cross your bridges ~ Meet your challenges ~ Reach out for your dreams, and bring them closer ad coer to our heart ~ Get rid of the “if onlys,” and get on with whatever you need to do to get things right in your life.
~Take Each Day a Step at a Time, Blue Mountain Arts
Baja Bob's Cocktail Mixes
~ Home of the Original Sugar-Free Margarita Mix
Note from Baja Bob's
Try some Baja Bob's
Sugar Free Cocktail
Mixes today - What a great way to enjoy an occasional cocktail without
any guilt! Enjoy and
stay on your program! Enter
when ordering and receive a 10%
Use Coupon Code
popularity of the Weight Watchers Diet, combined with Baja Bob's incredible
taste, has helped to push this cocktail mix leader
into the mainstream. Baja Bob's newest
release, Mojito Mix, follows their other
popular flavors. All of the Baja Bob's cocktail mixes contain approximately 70-100% less calories and
carbs than traditional mixes sweetened with high fructose corn
syrup making these mixes the perfect Weight Watchers addition.
Baja Bob has now made it even easier for us to have our mixes with us whenever we need them. You can now get Original Lime Margarita Mix and Mango Margarita Mix in singles! Throw them in your purse, keep a couple in the glove compartment; handy when you need them. All you do is add water and tequila and you’re on your way to a delicious drink that keeps you on your Program. You can use all 16 packets to make a half-gallon of this awesome mix for your guests. Staying on Program AND enjoying a cocktail (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) – without any worries of going off your Program – AWESOME!
- Original Lime Margarita Mix – Singles
- Mango Margarita Mix - Singles
mixes are great with
alcohol, allowing people who are watching their weight, or those who
are forced to watch their sugar intake due to health reasons the
opportunity to enjoy the great taste of a cocktail.
cocktail mixes come in several flavors: Original Margarita, Wild
Strawberry Margarita, Desert Key Lime Margarita, Crazy Caribe
Colada, Loco Lemon Sweet & Sour, Maui Madness Mai Tai,
Cosmo Martini Mix, Sour Apple Martini Mix, and more to come...
Enjoy a cocktail and stay
on your Program
Walking ~ 10 Reasons Why Walking Works
Walking on a regular basis can help you in many ways. Read below of the health benefits you receive when on a regular walking program. On top of all the health benefits, you will also lose weight – what a great added benefit! Why not start walking today?
~Burn Off 10 lbs a Month
- Stronger cardiovascular system. Regular walking can decrease your resting pulse rate, which in turn means your heart doesn’t have to work so hard to keep you going throughout the day.
- Reduced risk for a heart attack. According to a study conducted by Dr. Ralph S. Paffenbarger, Jr., it was concluded that a daily 2-mile walk can reduce the risk of heart attack by 29% or more. Walking lowers levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the “bad” kind) and raises levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the “good” kind). You can also reduce your risk of developing high blood pressure, which is a factor that contributes to heart disease and stroke. Guess what? If you already have high blood pressure, walking can help to lower it.
- A stronger immune system, which increases your odds of fighting off infection and disease.
- Increased bone density, which lowers your risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Increased circulation to your joints, which can result in less pain for people with arthritic joints.
- Reduced risk for developing type 2 diabetes. If you already have diabetes, taking part in a regular walking program can improve your body’s ability to process sugar (known as glucose tolerance), lower your blood sugar levels, and help you live longer.
- Increased mobility and stamina.
- Improved posture, resulting in fewer backaches.
- Stress relief and greater mental functioning. If you want to reduce stress in your life going for a walk is a great way to do so. Regular walking can also reduce feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Improved ability to stay strong and active through the years. Your balance is improved by walking, thus preventing falls and keeping you mobile. This will, in turn, help you keep your independence.
by Stephanie Oaks
Software You Can Use! — And Now Available Online!
is an awesome program for your Journey. I
highly recommend it to all those who are on a Journey of their own.
It is a wonderful program to track your progress on any weight loss
program you are using. You can read My Review of
the Weight Commander
or go straight to the source and check out
this great software by following this link to Weight
. He has many tips and ideas throughout his program,
which will help you to be successful on your Journey.
And for those who don't feel comfortable downloading software, or who cringe when Windows gives them another unnecessary warning about running perfectly safe software, Michael has created a wonderful online version of Weight
, where you can always access your information with privacy, with no worry about trying to transfer it from computer to computer when you switch. You can of course still get the software version (which continues to work very well, even on my Windows Vista computer
), but the online version of Weight
is a wonderful new option! You make the choice, but you win either way.
The Power of 100 Calories
Did you know that gradual weight gain, on average, is caused by an extra 100 calories per day? That being said, it follows that by eliminating 100 calories per day and including more physical activity, may be all it takes to manage your weight. Here are a few tips to help make it happen for you.
5 ways to trim 100 calories from food:
5 ways to burn 100 calories through physical activity:
- Swap a 12-ounce regular soft drink for a diet soft drink or water.
- Drink 2 cups of fat-free milk instead of 2 cups of whole milk.
- Use 1 teaspoon of mustard or ketchup or 1 tablespoon of fat-free mayonnaise in place of 1 tablespoon of regular mayonnaise.
- Split a small order of French fries with a friend.
- Slice a typical piece of pie or cake about one-third smaller.
5 food and foot power combos to cut 100 calories:
- Pedal an exercise bike for 13 minutes.
- Practice some fast dance steps for 16 minutes.
- Work in the garden for 18 minutes.
- Walk briskly for 23 minutes (3.5 mph)
- Clean the house for 25 minutes.
~The Weight-Loss Bible
- Eat 5 fewer potato chips, and walk for 6 minutes
- Eat one-quarter cup less of spaghetti with tomato sauce, and walk for 11 minutes.
- Top toast with 2 teaspoons apple butter instead of 2 teaspoons butter, and walk for 11 minutes.
- Spoon out 3 tablespoons less mashed potatoes, and walk for 13 minutes.
- Skip 2 half-and-half creamers in coffee, and walk for 15 minutes.
~Food Insight, International Food Information Council Foundation, 2003
Five Steps To A Healthy Diet
The Federal Drudge Administration
is planning to issue a Guideline for Gourmets that advises you to:
List your ten favorite foods.
List your five favorite beverages.
. List all green vegetables that look like marsh grass, fur balls, or little trees.
Avoid A & B; eat only C; drink only D.
Did you know...?
Our Journey is not just about weight loss; it's about constantly learning new things…
J.R.R. Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings
as a single volume, and was annoyed when it was published in the mid-1950’s as a trilogy.
The “tornado” in The Wizard of Oz
was a 35-foot-long muslin
stocking, photographed over miniatures of a Kansas farm and fields.
Tinkertoy was invented by a tombstone designer and salesman [Charles Pajeau] who decided to try his hand at toy making when he noticed how much fun his own children had sticking pencils into empty spools of thread, then haphazardly assembling them into all sorts of abstract forms.
All Crayola crayon names appear on labels in lowercase because tests reveal that lowercase letters are easiest for elementary school students to read.
~Little-Known Facts About Well-Known Stuff
by David Hoffman
Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
Al has written many in depth essays on Weight
Loss and Maintenance and they are now
available on the website!
can find Al's Essays on Weight Loss and Maintenance
DWLZ Cookbooks One and Two
Have you ordered your DWLZ Cookbooks yet?
These cookbooks are filled with recipes that are Zonies' favorites, dishes that are delicious but on program, with nutritional information listed
. This is two books in one package: DWLZ Cookbooks Volumes One and Two
The recipes are easy to make and don't use hard-to-find items. They are
together in one PDF file
, viewable in your free
Acrobat Reader (Version 5 and higher). These also make wonderful gifts.
Every day is a good day to stock up on some great tasting Philly
Swirl's Sugar-Free, Fat-Free Swirl Pops! They are delicious and only 10
Keep your freezer stocked with these great 10-calorie pops, which can be
enjoyed anytime throughout the year. If you are interested in learning
more about the Philly Swirl
please visit them at http://www.phillyswirl.com/
and drop them a line. They would love to hear from you.
Psst...don’t forget to pass the word! We want to see these
awesome Sugar-Free, Fat-Free Swirl Pops remain available to all of us
on our Journey. Let's take the power we have to make a difference by
passing the word about these awesome pops and keeping them available to
us in the future.
DWLZ Website Updates
Keeping Dotti's Weight Loss Zone current is a full time job and then some. Anytime you would like to find my latest updates you can find them at these links:
"Today is the first day of the rest of your health."
Until our next visit, always keep in mind you are never alone on this
Journey. We are all here with you, right beside you, rooting you on.
Take care until next time...
"I cannot relive yesterday and
tomorrow isn't here yet, so I will just deal with today." ~Dotti
Newsletter Sign Up
If this newsletter was forwarded to you, you can sign up for it yourself at:
Dotti's Weight Loss Zone
And please don't forget to come and visit DWLZ!
If you are not already a regular visitor, it is time for you to come and make yourself at home at my web page, where you will find lots of tips on losing weight, and help in picking out good things to eat at your favorite restaurants, while still remaining on program. We have motivation, success stories, and much more. It is a lot like Disneyland: you'll have lots of fun, and you could never see it all in just one day! However, unlike Disneyland, Dotti's [ http://www.dwlz.com
] is open 24 hours a day, every day.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Copyright © DWLZ, Inc.
- 2008, all rights
reserved. This document may be reproduced freely as long as it is
always reproduced in its entirety, including this copyright message,
and the disclaimer below, and as long as it is always distributed
free of charge.
Disclaimer - This newsletter is not meant to be a substitute for any
professional advice, guidance, or counseling. We are not doctors. Any
information contained in this email reflects our
own opinions and experiences. It is not intended in any way to serve as
or take the place of medical advice from a physician.
possible, I calculate ALL my Points on my Offline Points Calculator in
the Half Points Mode, which rounds UP to the nearest Half Point. This
keeps my site consistent. All point values shown in BLACK are
calculated with the 10-gram fiber cap [Original 123 Success Points].
When there is a difference with the 4 gram fiber cap calculation, I
show the points value for that in RED.
Note: Points® is a registered trademark of Weight Watchers
International, Inc. The Points® values displayed are not intended in any way to show an endorsement or sponsorship of any product or organization by Weight Watchers International, Inc.